Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dreams

Throughout my whole high school/college career I could never decide what I wanted to "be" when I grew up. It would change weekly, and in my first two years of college I changed my major close to 10 times. All I could ever come up with is that I wanted to help people. Too bad helping people is not an attainable educational degree.

I finally decide on Public Relations; I've always wanted to work at a magazine or in the fashion industry. I decided to throw a minor in Political Science in there too. It sounded a little more prestigious, serious. It's incredible how the Lord works things out.

Backing up a little, I've been raised in politics. My dad's a politician and the loca
l justice court judge, so I've always been around it. My mom has been trying to talk me into law school for years now, I constantly told her no; I absolutely hated everything to do with politics/law.

I get the Southern and take one PS101 class and fall in love. I love it and I can't get enough knowledge on law, politics and government. I decide to double major in PR and Political Science and minor in Non-profits and Social Change. I will go to law school. All I want to do is help people.

That's it.Shortly after I lost my "I'm going to law school fire." I mean, I could just open up a coffee shop.

Earlier as I was studying for my Anthropology exam, I began reading on rites of passage for women in West Africa. It broke my heart, I cried. The pain that they have to go through to be seen as a woman in their societies is heart wrenching. I suddenly became so thankful for my life and racking my brain for what I can do to help. That's why I'm going to law school.

I want to eventually work with International Justice Mission and work towards
ending human trafficking and help give people the natural human rights they deserve. I want to love on the unloved, help mend the broken, give to the poor, feed the hungry.
I just want to help, and that's exactly what I'll do.

These are from a Mexico Mission trip I took in 2008.
I loved these children with my whole heart.


On another note,
I really fancy not wearing makeup.


-Gabby

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thats really awesome God worked all of that out for you. I recently went through the same thing. All i knew is that i wanted to,like you said, "help people" and ive decided to be a counselor. My dream,though, would be to counsel young girls coming out of the sex slave industry..so i totally get where you're coming from! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete