Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I'm sure we all remember the days of old, Myspace. If you were anything like me you would spend hours (well, maybe that's an exaggeration) thinking of the perfect wording for your about me. It was a crucial part of Myspace.

One thing I always remember about my about me is that I always ended it with, "I want to change the world one day." Even though that was 5 years ago, it still resonates with me now. I still want to lend a helping hand to changing the world. I want to make an imprint.

As college hit I, like many of you, struggled with what I wanted to pursue a degree in. Within the first year it changed 6 or 7 times. When someone asked the infamous question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I would constantly answer, "I just want to help people, the world." Is there a degree in that? Not exactly.

For the past 3 1/2 years I've done what any young teenage/twenty something year old "should" do, go to school. I've finally reached a point in my life where I want to make decisions for myself despite what the world (or family) thinks I should do.

In April I sucked up my fears of failure and applied to be an Invisible Children roadie. Three months, an application video and two interviews later I've been asked to join the Invisible Children team in San Diego. I won't be attending as a roadie, but as a movement/communications intern which I believe fits me even better. Throughout the whole process I fretted and worried, but the Lord constantly lent me a hand of reassurance and peace. Half way through I let go and now I see how fast life really is. I won't be able to leave, move to San Diego for half a year and be a part of something like this forever.

School is on indefinite hold right now. I want to see the world, experience new things while I can. I can always finish school, right? Right.

With that being said, why did I accept the position with Invisible Children? Because 2 years ago my heart was wrecked when I watched a rough cut documentary about the atrocities in Uganda. Because I know what's happening and feel that if I know and do nothing then I am as guilty as the ones causing this chaos. Because I want to be a part of something bigger than me.

Because I want to help change the world.

If you want to help support me while I'm away in San Diego please click here, type in your information and donate whatever amount you'd like. The internship is unpaid so every little bit counts. If you are unable to support me financially, I'd appreciate your prayers. This is going to be a tremendous journey that I sometimes doubt I'm prepared for, but I know I am and I'm ready to grow.

Gabby

1 comment:

  1. I'm so so proud for you, Gabby! God will use you in more ways than you can imagine, and you will be such an inspiration to others! I am and will be praying for you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete