Monday, March 12, 2012

Refreshing Joy

My teammate Madi and I are full of spontaneity. Today we put our work aside and took a day trip to the big apple, the empire state, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, you know, NYC. It was a trip worth making and an inspiring one at that. We bought scones, coffee cake and chai lattes for breakfast. The plan was to have breakfast at Tiffany's, but we got lost. We settled with a Tiffany's ad and a view of The Flatiron Building. We then walked up 5th avenue to Central Park, marveled at the zoo, then decided it was time for lunch. Stardust Diner was our food of choice, but we decided to be "true New Yorkers" and eat at the famous chicken and rice cart on 53rd and 6th. Delicious is an understatement. Life changing? Maybe. After lunch we took a stroll through Time Square, took pictures with some characters, then went to visit our NYC street team at their new apartment. During that visit we shared inspiring stories from our Kony 2012 experiences. It truly rejuvenated me and my attitude towards what I'm doing. Being constantly tired, doing the monotonous same thing everyday can make you lose your focus. I knew this coming in, but I also knew that it would be important to find the "refreshing joy" as Gary Haugen puts it. I found refreshing joy in the form of two incredible people telling me that my job is so important now, of spending time with my teammate and newfound friend and exploring the New York/New Jersey trains. I tried new food, talked to strangers and strolled in the New York sun. I'm refreshed to start the week and do the same thing I've been doing for the past two. Treat every screening as a new one, a new experience because it is. This is relevant for life too. Don't get too caught up in the hustle and bustle of life. If traffic slows you down, take a breather. There's nothing you can do about it. Don't let stress bring you down. It gives you wrinkles. Laugh often, love everyone and give grace always. Little acts of kindness are always best. Be humbled by your work and purpose. Above all, promise to be faithful because Lord already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment